Cyril Jackson is a non-selective, state-funded school serving children of all abilities. Places will be allocated to those who live nearest to the school as well as, of course, providing for those with a statement of educational need and those who are in Local Authority care.
Where there are insufficient Nursery places, priority in the 2013/14 school year will be given by the Headteacher in the following order:
- Children who are or have been looked after by the local authority within one year prior to the admission date (children in public care).
- Where there are exceptional social/educational/medical needs for the school applied to. You will be asked to provide a report from a professional to support the application e.g. from a doctor or social worker.
- Children with brothers or sisters in the school at the time of admission.
- Children living in the designated priority areas for Stepney schools. Within this category, priority will be given to pupils who live nearest the school, as measured by the shortest walking distance to the nearest available pupil entrance in constant use.
- To those living nearest the school.
With the recent changes to Nursery places in the borough, Cyril Jackson has 48 full-time and 24 part-time places available. We will try our best to meet parental preferences for full or part time places and, if part time, a morning or afternoon place. However, if demand exceeds availability for preferences, we will use the above criteria to allocate places accordingly.
Morning sessions run from 9:00 am until 12:00 pm
Afternoon sessions run from 12:30 pm until 3:30 pm
All Nursery places, full and part time, are offered without charge.
Priorities for admission after 5 years of age:
- Children looked after by a Local Authority (children in care).
- Children for whom there is an identified special need - educational, social, emotional, physical or medical.
- Sisters or brothers of children already attending Cyril Jackson, provided they live within 1.5 miles of the school.
- Children who live closest, measured by the shortest walking distance.
If you are unsuccessful in your bid for a place in the Foundation Two (Reception) or older classes, you have the right to appeal. Appeal forms are available from the school office.
During the Autumn Term, parents of children in their final year at Cyril Jackson will receive information about transferring to a secondary school the following September. A parents/carers session is also arranged for the end of Year 5 to explain necessary procedures.
The policy and arrangements for admission to the school are set out in the Local Authority's school admissions booklet 'Starting School in Tower Hamlets', which can be accessed at www.towerhamlets.gov.uk/schooladmissions. A paper copy can be obtained from the Local Authority's Pupil Admissions Team on tel: 020 7364 5006.
Children with Statements of SEN
For children with a Local Authority Statement of Special Educational Needs, parents must contact the SEN Department at LB of Tower Hamlets, Mulberry Place, 5 Clove Crescent, London E14 2BG, requesting a place.
Years 1 to 6
If you have just moved to the area with children of school age, please contact Pupil Services at Tower Hamlets Pupil Admissions Team, 020 7364 5006.
All other admissions are coordinated centrally through that office. However, parents/carers can state a preference for where their child is placed.